Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I'm Not Dead

Hi guys. Sorry I never post anymore. I took a long break from playing any serious poker. Then I played about 700 sit-n-gos this month because some friends of mine told me they were easy and low variance. I broke about even and didn't enjoy one minute of it. Then yesterday I played some triple draw and booked a nice win. The same happened today. So, back to this for a while, I guess.

I recently had a realization about my poker "career," and it went something like this. When I started playing for a living, I was doing just that: playing to make money, to pay the rent, to put food on the table. Then I worked hard/played a lot/ran good for a while and got to a place where I was comfortable financially. I didn't need to make money playing poker on a day-to-day basis to support myself. This had some bad consequences. I got really lazy with my play and my game selection. For a while I just played whatever game I felt like playing at whatever stakes they were spreading it. I played against some of the best players in the world at games I was not very experienced or very good at. Not surprisingly, I lost.

I feel kind of silly about it in hindsight, but there's no use in dwelling on the mistakes I've made. Let them be a lesson to you. Or something. Anyway, onward and upward. I'm going to play smaller for a while and probably only play triple draw. A little grinding will be good for me.

I'm planning to play the WSOP triple draw event on June 22nd. I probably won't be in town for more than a few days, but I want to see all you idiots who I've missed while I haven't been traveling this year. Let's play some golf.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff D said...

Chris,

The best thing about those mistakes is that you have realized exactly what they were and hopefully know to avoid them in the future. So many people never figure that part out.

Good luck in the WSOP.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Mike May said...

Fourth place and dropping...


Source/Medium Visits Pages/Visit Avg. Time on Site % New Visits Bounce Rate
1.
(direct) / (none)
94 1.37 00:01:47 42.55% 77.66%
2.
shaniaconline.blogspot.com / referral
40 1.58 00:01:24 70.00% 80.00%
3.
google / organic
33 1.97 00:03:46 84.85% 54.55%
4.
twentyoneoutstwice.blogspot.com / referral
24 1.58 00:00:55 70.83% 79.17%
5.
fridayinvegas.blogspot.com / referral
12 1.42 00:04:01 25.00% 66.67%
6.
wickedchopspoker.blogs.com / referral
11 1.64 00:03:43 90.91% 72.73%

12:04 AM  
Blogger SluggerWV said...

One of the best pieces of advice I have ever received is to always learn from your mistakes and the only real bad thing is to repeat them. Being able to see them is more than half the battle.
Good luck to you sir!

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter