Friday, September 14, 2007

My New Business Venture - Instant Fantasy Sports

Hi everyone. As some of you know, I have been working on a new business venture for a number of months. The project is a fantasy sports website called Instant Fantasy Sports. We launched the site last night and I'm very excited about how it turned out. You can find it at www.instantfantasysports.com.

The basic idea behind the site is that we take the time frame of season-long fantasy sports leagues and shrink it. Our football games, which we launched last night, only last a week. On our site, there are no long-term commitments and you don't have to worry about injuries or poor performance ruining your whole fantasy season. The site will look familiar to many of you who are reading this blog because it's set up a lot like an online poker site. The way I have described my project to poker people is, "It's like sit n gos for fantasy sports." If you take a look at the site, you'll get a better idea what I mean.

Given the current state of online gaming, the next logical question is, "Is this site legal?" Happily, I'm able to tell you that fantasy sports games are explicitly protected by the UIGEA (the same law that has given online poker so much trouble in the USA). Instant Fantasy Sports is 100% legal in the USA and Canada.

Okay, this is the part where I ask you for help! If you're interested in fantasy sports, I hope you will check out the site, sign up for an account, and play in some leagues if you like the idea. If you know other fantasy sports lovers, please let them know about the site. I feel that we have put together something special here. One of the initial challenges is getting people signed up for the site so that we can run drafts regularly. I hope you'll help me meet this challenge by signing up and spreading the word to your friends who like fantasy sports.

If you have any questions or comments about the site, please leave a comment here or send an email to support@instantfantasysports.com

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a total rip-off of a site some other bloggers started months ago called Fantasy Sports Live.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Chris Fargis said...

There are similarities between that site and Instant Fantasy Sports. The major difference is that we have live drafts and they use a salary cap method of acquiring players. There are positives and negatives to both formats.

Would you call Full Tilt a "rip-off" of PokerStars?

8:00 PM  
Blogger The Man said...

chris,

i like your blog. ill be moving my account and all of my friends accounts from fsl to your site.

the man
http://thisguyistheman.blogspot.com

12:43 PM  
Anonymous BBQbowser said...

Broooooklyn ladies

2:04 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Chris:

The site looks great. And I think the concept is potentially huge in terms of profit. I do wonder about the legal side - it seems to me that there is going to be a strong correlation between the success of the site and the probability of the powers that be deciding that it's "gambling" and thus illegal.

But congratulations on getting it off the ground. Best of luck going forward.

matt

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Mike said...

I posted about your new service over at thehuddle.com, a site dedicated to fantasy football, after clearing it with the site administrators. Here's the thread, you can check it out to see what kind of feedback you get.

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=218356

Have you approached other FF sites to see if they're interested in being referring affiliates? I mentioned this to the owners of thehuddle.com, but they were fine with me just posting it straight to their message board.

I like the concept, and I like the idea of a draft better than a salary cap, I'll probabbly open an account and give it a whirl.

Did you run any contests for NFL week 2, or is week 3 your first run? I'd be curious to know how week 2 games ran, any glitches, etc.

I also notice that in your current lobby, all of the listed games have no contestants currently and that no baseball is offered yet. Will you have enough of an audience to fill those week 3 games you think?

Good luck, sounds like a good idea to me.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Chris Fargis said...

Hey Mike,

Thanks for spreading the word to TheHuddle.

Personally I agree with you that a draft format in which no two owners can have the same player is much more interesting than a salary cap format. Some people seem to like the salary cap games, but they never interested me. What's the fun in everyone drafting LT?

We ran a bunch of contests for week 2. For the most part, everything went smoothly. The few small problems we had have been addressed.

Our contests tend to fill at night more than during the day and we get more traffic as it gets closer to Sunday. We'll also be adding a new feature soon - scheduled contests. This way you can sign up for a draft that's going to happen at a certain time in the future instead of signing up and having to wait for a contest to fill up. I think this will help us get moving a little faster in the beginning.

As for baseball, there were only a few weeks left in the season when we launched, so we decided to hold off until next year to offer it. We will definitely have baseball and basketball games in the future.

Thanks for your support.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter