Saturday, June 30, 2007

WSOP 2-7

I made the second day of the 2-7 tournament with a below average stack of 12,200. We will be playing 600-1200 when we start up today. While my friends all had people at their tables who didn't know whether an ace was high or low, my table draw was absolutely brutal for this tournament. It looked like:

1 - John Juanda
2 - Hoyt Corkins
3 - Chris Gentile
4 - Mel Judah
5 - Me
6 - Joe Cassidy

Before 2-7 was being played in every mixed game, Juanda was the best in the world at triple draw. As he said when he drew out on me early in the day, "Don't you know this is my best game?" Hoyt is from Alabama and they play a loooot of lowball in the south. Chris Gentile, aka superfish is in my opinion one of the best mixed game players around and was probably the biggest winner in the big triple draw game we used to play on UB. If there is one guy I didn't want to see at my table for this event, it was definitely Chris. Mel hadn't played a lot of triple draw, he admitted, but has been around poker for a long time and played well. And of course Joe Cassidy is a superstar at any game you put him in.

I rebought immediately and had to rebuy three more times in addition to the double add-on, so I'm in for $7k and have to come in the top 12 to win money. We got 209 runners, which was more than I expected, and first place pays $227k.

With about 20 minutes left in the day I got moved to a table with Greg Raymer, Rafi Amit, John Murphy, and Chris Bjorn. I mean come on. Can I get a guy who doesn't know what he's doing, one time? Chris busted right before the end of the night, so we have two open seats which will probably be filled by some other good lowball players. I sort of hope the table breaks because Rafi and Greg are very strong at this game and have more chips than I do.

These limit tournaments are sort of a crapshoot when the blinds get so big, so I hope I make some hands early on. You should be able to check in on me at pokernews.com if you so desire. Cards get in the air at 4 PM Vegas time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GL Fargis!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Garthmeister J. said...

Good to meet you Chris. Looks like you busted just after I did (and I'm a little annoyed at how I went out). Good luck for the rest of your time in Vegas!

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter