Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Bank

I just went to the bank to get money for my trip to Vegas later today. So I filled out the slip, went to the teller, went through the usual steps for a large cash withdrawal (photo ID, etc.), and then something weird happened. The teller got the money out and then said "My manager wants to know what you're going to do with the cash." Aaaahahaha. Obviously I said something like, "That's sort of a strange question" or "That's none of the bank's business" or "Tell your manager to go fuck himself," and the guy gave me the money and I left. I sort of felt bad for the teller because he looked sort of nervous asking a customer a question like that and agreed with me when I said it was strange. What I want to know though is what happens if I say the money is for hookers and blow or something? Are they going to refuse to give it to me?

Anyway I'm off to Vegas tonight and the triple draw tournament is Friday. This is like the main event for me so I'm pretty excited.

12 Comments:

Blogger DuggleBogey said...

Seriously?

Or is this a well disguised UIGEA commentary?

2:48 PM  
Blogger Chris Fargis said...

Wait what? No, seriously.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Div said...

You should have paraphrased George Best and said something like 'I'm going to spend most of it on booze, women, and fast cars. The rest I'll probably squander.'

3:54 PM  
Blogger Garthmeister J. said...

I'm considering playing the TD event on Friday as well. Any ideas how many people will play the event? A rebuy limit Triple Draw tournament seems a little niche...

4:05 PM  
Blogger Chris Fargis said...

I'm guessing 100-150. It's a 5 pm event so you'll have some people who busted out of the noon event and still want to play. I really don't know, though.

4:15 PM  
Blogger gaamblor said...

i'd say tell the truth, this used to bug me also but then i read about how the IRS investigates Suspicious Activity Reports thoroughly which is what your bank manager just submitted

5:02 PM  
Anonymous The Man said...

chris,

maybe i will see you there. if not, good luck. i hope you win.

5:34 PM  
Blogger schneid said...

Maybe he figured it must be for blow and hookers, and he wanted to tag along for a free party.

- schneid

11:34 AM  
Blogger KajaPoker said...

I would have asked to speak to the manager. And then turned the tables on him by asking things like "what do you think I'm going to use this money for?" or "what would you use the money for?" or "yo mama needs vaginal reconstructive surgery after last night and I thought i would pitch in". Something along these lines.

Good like in the TD ME.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Chilly said...

Cash transactions over $10k have to be reported to the Feds. At least thats what they told Mrs. Soprano at Lehman Brothers.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Chris Fargis said...

I know Chilly. It wasn't over $10k.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're required in many circumstances to be nosy so they can rat on you if they think you're Up To Something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_secrecy_act

If it was a little under $10K, and you had some other recent significant cash withdrawal, that's the most obvious thing that might have triggered the inquiry - but who knows what all else might have.

-alanj

3:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter